Friday, March 26, 2010

Chili Fit for a King!


Chili is always a great food for when you want something hearty, full of flavor, yet simple to make.  Chili is one of Matt's favorite meals I make.  I must put a disclaimer out there... none of my batches of chili that I have made have been the same.  I am one of those cooks that measures things by taste and how I want it to taste that day.  There are times where my chili is sweet, spicy or both!  We enjoy eating our chili in sourdough bread bowls or with the traditional cornbread.

Here is my best recipe for my Chili!  Lets just say this recipe feeds an army!  So if you want less chili cut the meat, veggies, and beans in half. :)

Time: About 40 minutes

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (any oil will do)
1 Pound of your choice of meat (I usually use ground Turkey)

3 Cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
About 1 Tablespoon of Taco Seasoning (you may want more or less depending of taste)
3 Teaspoons of Chili Powder (more of less depending of taste)
1 Medium Onion
1/4 Red Pepper
1/4 Yellow Pepper
1/4 Green Pepper
1/4 Can of Olives
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
1 Can of Tomato Paste
1 Can of Kidney Beans
1 Can of Chili Beans
1 Can of Black or White beans
If you want it on the sweeter side add about 2 teaspoons of brown sugar add more if needed to taste.
If you want it really spicy add Red Pepper flakes or Sriracha Sauce

Directions:

Put Oil in big pot.  Let heat up.  Add choice of meat let it brown for about 7-9 minutes stirring frequently. 

Add onion, peppers and olives.  Let them carmalize with meat for about 5-8 minutes stirring frequently.

Add tomato chunks and tomato paste.

Drain and add the beans.

Let is simmer on low for about 10-20 minutes.  Test it to see if you need salt, more taco seasoning, brown sugar or more spice.  If you find it too salty, add some brown sugar.  It helps fend off the salty taste.

Some great toppings are:
Sour Cream, Avacado, Raw onion, Peppers, Tortilla chips, cilantro  and Cheese!


Hope you like it as much as Matt and I!!

No comments:

Post a Comment