Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cheese Blintzes & Brown Sugar Bacon!

Growing up my family didn't do breakfast much and if we did it was good old scrambled eggs, toast, and sausage/bacon.  Nothing too fancy.  However, Matt's family loves breakfast!  Since I've known Matt and his family I've been introduced to lots of delicious breakfast meals.  This brown sugar bacon and cheese blintzes take one of the top places of breakfast foods!

I tried looking up where Cheese Blintzes originated, but I found that there are many different places where they claim to have started these super tasty morsels!!  I also found the way I was taught how to make these little guys is much different from various recipe websites.  The difference?  I put my sour cream and cottage cheese in the batter not as a filling.  Matt wouldn't eat them if those two things were a filling!  :)

This recipe is super easy and just takes one bowl to make it in.  I would highly suggest making these on a griddle.  You can make a lot at the same time and its also a bit more consistent in the heat department.

 Takes about 20 min to make
Feeds about 4 people

Cheese Blintz Ingredients:

1 Cup of sifted flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Cup cottage cheese
1 Cup of sour cream
4 Eggs
2 Teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

Sift one cup of flour into the bowl you want to mix it in.  I usually mix it in my 4 cup pyrex measuring cup.  However, if you want to make more you would probably want to make it in a big bowl.

Put 1 tablespoon sugar in along with 1 teaspoon of salt in with flour. 

Measure 1 cup of cottage cheese put in along with 1 cup of sour cream in to flour mixture.  Begin stirring together.  It will be very thick, so begin adding 1 egg at a time until you have all 4 in.  Mix well with wooden spoon.  Sometimes I add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to give it more flavor! :)

Once all mixed together pour onto griddle.  Let cook until the edges look cooked. You also can check underneath to see how they look. Flip and let cook until nice golden brown.

Matt's family has always rolled their blintzes up with their choice of filling in the middle.  I usually just put the filling on and eat it like a pancake.  Either way would work. Rolling it up makes it look pretty though. :)

Filling:

The filling is the best part of these bad boys!  Here is a list of yummy fillings you can put on yours
Strawberries
Rasberries
Blueberries
Nutella
Bananas
Whipped Cream



Brown Sugar Bacon!!!

If you like bacon and brown sugar, you will definitely love these bad boys! I usually get my bacon from the meat department.  I have found that it is good quality bacon and it costs less or about the same as the stuff you get pre-packaged.  I take the bacon put it on a cookie cooling pan on top of a cookie pan.  This is so the bacon grease can drip off, so you don't have to eat it!

Once when you have your bacon on your cookie cooling sheet and pan begin putting brown sugar on top.  Its easy to use a spoon to spread the brown sugar around.  Turn your oven on to Broil and put your bacon on the top rack.  *** Make sure you watch it closely!!***  or it will burn!  Matt likes bacon on the chewier side... so its up to you how long you want to keep it baking. 

When you find the baked level you want for your bacon take it out and flip them over, cover this side with brown sugar and put it back in the oven.  Bake them until you feel that they are done.  Just make sure you don't forget about them... I am notorious for doing this... and having burnt food!

No comments:

Post a Comment